Northwestern has developed several resources and services to assist its investigators with research data management and sharing.
Northwestern University IT Research Computing Services
Research Computing Services supports researchers throughout the full research data lifecycle, including data management, data storage, data transfer and workflows, data analysis and visualization, and data sharing. A range of services, learning resources and workshops, and individual consultations are available to researchers at all levels across the University.
Support and Consultations
Speak with a Research Computing Services consultant about data management, transfer, storage, and workflows. Request a consultation.
- Find and register for Upcoming Workshops
- Request a Workshop or Training for your group
- Explore free Online Learning Platforms covering a wide range of data topics
- Read Documentation and Guides for data storage, transfer, and sharing services
Data Management Services
- Research Data Storage Service
- Globus Data Transfer Tool
- Dryad Data Repository
- Document Sharing and Data Storage Finder
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Northwestern University Libraries
Northwestern University Libraries (NUL) provides Scholarly Research Services for faculty and students who are conducting and disseminating research, featuring experts in the areas of copyright, digital humanities, data management, citation management, geospatial and data analysis, and digital publishing who are available to assist at any stage of the research process. Assistance is available for data management planning and issues, including help with funding agency requirements, training on the DMPTool, and drafting data management plans. A librarian is available to answer data management questions and provide class presentations or individual training sessions.
- Research Guidesare prepared by subject librarians across disciplines and can include recommended search engines, publications and course information. The Data Management Guide assists researchers in data management and features guides, video tutorials and support for specific resources.
- How-To Guides instruct patrons on how to use library tools and resources
- Northwestern University is an institutional member of Dryad, a non-profit, community-governed data repository
- For an in-depth research consultation, complete an online Appointment Request Formor contact a Subject Librarian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center
The Galter Health Sciences Library advances research, patient care, and education through integrated partnerships, dedicated services and resources, and a deep commitment to collaborative innovation. The Galter DataLab provides resources, support, and training to support the Feinberg community with all aspects of data research. DataLab services and projects reflect our commitment to good data practices and a collaborative culture at Feinberg and beyond.
- Visit Classes@Galter to sign up for a class or learn more about Data Management or any other Galter Library trainings
- To request training for you or your group, contact Galter Library By-request classes are available to Feinberg School of Medicine affiliates only
For immediate, step-by-step guidance on data management and sharing Plans and compliance with the upcoming NIH DMS Policy, please see the GalterGuide Creating an NIH DMS Plan which offers detailed guidance and support:
- Getting Started (introduction and outline of data that should be shared)
- Creating an NIH Data Management Plan with detailed guidance for documentation of data types; related tools, software and/or code; standards; data preservation, access, and associated timelines; access, distribution, or reuse considerations (selecting a repository); and oversight of data management and sharing
- Data Management and Sharing: Galter and FSM Resources such as data management trainings, Galter DataLab consultations, Feinberg IT policies affecting data security, the Prism repository, and the DMPTool
- Additional NIH Resources to support data sharing, and
- Additional Resources from Across the Web, a compilation of toolkits, sample data management and sharing Plans, and other resources supporting compliance with the NIH DMS Policy
Additional guidance on data-related topics is available through the suite of Data & Data Management Galter Guides.
The DataLab’s DataClinic service provides consultation and training for all stages of the research data life cycle and links Feinberg researchers with experts who can help to resolve issues. Consultation support is available on a range of topics such as research data management and sharing, cleaning, analysis, and visualization. The DataLab supports reproducible research, open science, and a range of associated technical topics and provides support for collaborative innovation initiatives. To arrange a Data Clinic consultation, please fill out the DataLab contact form.
For other long-term or specialized support, we refer researchers to our partners at Northwestern.